Science Writer (m/f/d) – TEMPORARILY CLOSED!
HI THERE! UNFORTUNATELY, THIS POSITION IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED!
We received very many applications for this position, and we will need some time to read and evaluate all of them carefully. If the perfect candidate is not in the current batch, we will reopen the position at the beginning of March!
Our text and research team is looking for a diligent and motivated Science Writer (m/f/d) who will review and summarize scientific articles and sources to help create the scripts for our videos! Starting asap, your main responsibility as our new Science Writer will be selecting, reviewing, and summarizing relevant scientific literature for our scripts. With your strong scientific background and your keen eye for research quality, you ensure the scientific rigor of the content behind our videos. You share our passion for good statistics and would not refrain from doing some of the calculations yourself. In addition, you are always open to new ideas and perspectives, discussing them with our internal and external experts, while always remaining impartial and focussed on facts. At kurzgesagt, we turn complicated scientific facts into enticing and impartial narratives. The final quality of our scripts sets us apart. We want to share a scientific view on the world, and we don’t have a hidden agenda. If you are equal parts nerd and storyteller, with passion for both detail and the big picture alike, you will fit perfectly into our team!
- Selecting, reviewing, and summarizing scientific articles and other relevant resources
- Collecting and evaluating scientific studies and other scientific literature
- Identifying the most interesting and relevant aspects in a topic
- Writing informative and enticing essays which are the basis of our scripts
- Selecting the most crazy, interesting, and surprising elements in old and new topics with reliable intuition
- Checking numbers and statistics with the ability to perform some calculations yourself (e.g. how many black holes are there in the milky way?)
- Eagerness to discuss crazy ideas with scientific rigor
- Contact with other scientists and experts in the field
- Close collaboration with other members of the text and research team
- Identifying new (and sometimes crazy) ideas for scripts and videos
- Summarizing research into essays
- Maintaining and promoting the quality standards of our scripts
- Identifying and selecting experts for specific topics
- Academic degree (MSc, PhD), preferably in one of the natural sciences or astrophysics
- Work experience in scientific writing outside academia (e.g. as a journalist, science communicator, for a scientific youtube channel, etc.)
- Experience in scientific work and research (in academia)
- Ability to summarize scientific topics into a concise, clear, yet interesting narrative
- Extensive experience with tools for literature research and English primary scientific resources
- Ability to gain a detailed encompassing overview of a specific topic within a short period of time
- Diligent, detail oriented, quality minded, autonomous, structured
- You are tenacious and persistent, even in the face of challenges
- Open-minded and happy to discuss even the weirdest and craziest ideas
- Passion for spreading scientific knowledge and the possibility to influence (potentially millions) of people in a positive way
- Fluent in English, basic German is a plus
in a nutshell – kurzgesagt is one of the biggest European YouTube channels with almost 14 Million followers. We tell scientific tales about the universe, biology, history, technology or philosophy – a motley mix of serious and silly topics. Our mission is to incite excitement and curiosity for the world that we live in by breaking down even the most complex topics into accessible and interesting stories.
- Work at the biggest German YouTube channel
- A position with the prospect for growth and development
- Mix of collaborative and autonomous tasks for exciting and diverse projects
- Possibility for exchange with experts and enthusiastic colleagues
- Open and friendly work atmosphere
- Office in the center of Munich (near main station)
We are looking for candidates who will work full-time at our office in Munich, which means that moving to Munich (and having or obtaining a valid work visa) is required.
Please send your compelling and complete application (including your salary expectations) addressed to Lizzy Steib, subject "Science Writer", via firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the button-link below!